Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Contemporary Art_Yayoi Kusama

The Japanese artist born in 1928 in Matsumoto plays one of the most important roles of post war art from a feminist perspective, realistic and raw.





Her career was launched 10 years ago when the polka dots and created impressive painted watercolors. In 1957 she left her homeland to live in the United States where she showed her great and original ideas such as sculptures or sculptures soft exterior mirrors and electric lights. Also participated in various festivals in full 60's psychedelia and closer to pop art.


In his works you will recognize not only her talent but obsessed strokes caused by mental illness. The artist returned to Japan in 1973 to live permanently in a psychiatric hospital.





Yayoi Kusama said "One day I was looking at the red flower patterns of the table cloth on a table, and when I looked up I saw the same pattern covering the ceiling, the windows and the walls, and finally all over the room, my body and the universe. I felt as if I had begun to self-obliterate, to revolve in the infinity of endless time and the absoluteness of space, and be reduced to nothingness. As I realized it was actually happening and not just in my imagination, I was frightened. I knew I had to run away lest I should be deprived of my life by the spell of the red flowers. I ran desperately up the stairs. The steps below me began to fall apart and I fell down the stairs straining my ankle."



No comments:

Post a Comment